Managing a team of Sales People is a demanding job in a high pressure environment. You are expected to motivate the team, deliver results and grow the business. Here are some tips to help you succeed.
- Spend time with your most successful sales person and understand exactly what he or she does. Make sure that the others do this too.
- Spend time with your least successful people and determine what they are doing wrong. Coach them to improve. If they cannot do so they must go.
- Speak to customers and find out why they buy your product and how they hear about you. If possible speak to people who considered you but chose someone else – why did they do this?
- Define your ideal customer. What is the sweet spot in the market for you?
- Ensure that the Sales and Marketing departments are aligned. Are you both focused on the right markets and customers? Is the marketing team generating good leads?
- Qualify, qualify, qualify. Make sure that everyone knows the qualification criteria and applies them. Sales people tend to waste time on poor prospects.
- Ensure that all you sales people are selling. Eliminate time wasting activity.
- Write a telephone script for new sales people – get your best and most experienced people to help do this.
- Make a list of the most common objections and brainstorm with your team to come up with great answers.
- Be enthusiastic and encouraging. Praise success in public. Sales people love recognition.
Don’t try to be a super Sales person yourself. By all means contribute in key sales situations but avoid the temptation to take over. Your role lies in empowering your team to succeed.. You should listen, support, coach and praise. Good luck and enjoy the success!