Dom Ninian Sloane OSB

PB 64 Fr Ninian Sloane (2)

Stephen Gerard Sloane was born in August 1908 in West Derby, Liverpool.  He was one of five children. His siblings were Kathleen b. 1907, Eileen b. 1909, Patrick b. 1910 and Leonard b. 1911.  His parents were Patrick, an estate manager and grocer born in 1876 in Ballymaderfy, Greencastle, County Down, Ireland and Mary Sloane (nee Sloane) a teacher born in 1877 in Bavin, Drummullagh, County Louth, Ireland.  He grew up in Gourock, Scotland and was educated at St Columba’s School and at Glasgow School of Art.  His great followings in life were art,  the Catholic faith and Celtic FC.  He was ordained a priest in the Order of Saint Benedict on 15th August 1946 whereupon he took the name Ninian.  He was based initially at Prinknash Abbey in Gloucestershire.  He became one of the five pioneers who in 1948 restarted monastic life at and the rebuilding of Pluscarden Priory (now Abbey) in Morayshire, Scotland.  While there he was given charge of the stained glass department and created many windows for churches and other buildings chiefly in Scotland.

He died on 16 Oct 1984.

Here are some of his works:

St Margaret and St Luke, St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Lossiemouth, 1968.
St Margaret and St Luke, St Margaret’s Episcopal Church, Lossiemouth, 1968.

 

 

 

St Jude, St Lawrence and St Anthony, St Lawrence Church, Dingwall, 1972
St Jude, St Lawrence and St Anthony, St Lawrence Church, Dingwall, 1972

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The City of God and the Monk's Journey, the Lady Chapel, Pluscarden Abbey 1958 - 60. Left light by Br Gilbert, centre and right lights by Dom Ninian.
The City of God and the Monk’s Journey, the Lady Chapel, Pluscarden Abbey 1958. Left light by Br Gilbert, centre and right lights by Dom Ninian.

 

Crucifix window in the refectory at Pluscarden.
Crucifix window in the refectory at Pluscarden. 1957
Whitehills Parish Church, in memory of a sailor who drowned. 1970
Whitehills Parish Church, in memory of a sailor, James Brown, who drowned in 1968.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St Thomas Church, Keith. Left light Our Lady of Aberdeen and right light, St Andrew by Dom Ninian.
St Thomas Church, Keith. Left light Our Lady of Aberdeen and right light, St Andrew by Dom Ninian. 1970

 

Ogilive.Keith (2)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Window of Blessed John Ogilvie, St Thomas Church in Keith.

 

St.Margaret.Keith (2)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Window of St Margaret, Queen of Scotland, St Thomas Church, Keith.

 

 

This report in the Press and Herald tells of the monks of Prinknash who started the rebuilding of Pluscarden in starting in 1948.

The first monks to return to Pluscarden. Pictured: Brother Andrew Prescott, Dom Ninian Sloane, Brother Cuthbert Swarbrick, Dom Dyfrig Rushton, Dom Maurus Deegan, Dom Brendan McHugh.
The first monks to return to Pluscarden. Pictured: Brother Andrew Prescott, Dom Ninian Sloane, Brother Cuthbert Swarbrick, Dom Dyfrig Rushton, Dom Maurus Deegan, Dom Brendan McHugh.

 

ordination

At his ordination in 1946.  Daniel Holland, his sister Eileen, Dom Ninian, his sister Kathleen Holland, his mother Mary Sloane, his brother Patrick and niece Alison Holland.

Wikipedia page